Thursday, November 10, 2011

What Ever Happened to Debtor's Prison?

On Sunday, I had a wonderful discussion with a smart friend of mine by the name of Colton. We were disagreeing about reform to the American Justice system. Now, I'm certainly no sadist, but I feel that our justice system isn't as harsh as it ought to be, especially when it comes to the death penalty. Those without a Christian foundation find this practice to be "cruel and barbaric." However, God specifically commanded Noah to execute murderers. This passage is blatantly clear about what it means. (Genesis 9:5-6) Before you object that this doesn't apply anymore, I would like you to refer to my very first post on this blog. There I explain the concept of each covenant being a greater revelation of the one before it. Certainly, the death penalty is neglected in our society. I like the idea of bringing the guillotine back instead of the electric chair and lethal injection. Certainly it's faster, cheaper, and less painful. If you look at it that way, it's in fact MORE humane!
Now, Colton's point of disagreement with me was my belief that we ought to reinstitute flogging into the American Justice system. I also add that this flogging ought to be public. That's half of the punishment right there! I have a couple points. First: judging by the Levitical Law, God considers flogging a pretty effective means of punishment. If God likes it, it's good enough for me! Second: Flogging has worked for ages. It's only now in our modern society that has a vehement contempt for law and punishment that flogging has come under attack for being "barbaric." Third: Public shame is a powerful punishment and is also a fantastic teaching tool. Colton rightly points out the foolishness of replacing prison with flogging. Indeed, prison has many benefits, however we ought to make room for public flogging. Flogging is effective and, sadly, it has received a bad reputation.
Colton has a valid point that flogging is traumatic. Yes, this is important to consider, but my question is, isn't that the point of punishment? The point of punishment is to hurt and teach. Flogging does both. Frankly, solitude like that experienced in prison sounds psychologically tormenting to me too! Neither incarceration nor flogging should be exalted above the other as Colton has correctly shown me. However, we should not neglect one for the other. They both have their places.
Also, what ever happened to debtor's prison? Victorian England had a system that helped deal with debt, but of course, we don't have a problem with that in America now do we? (Can you feel the sarcasm dripping from that sentence? It's a juicy steak of sarcasm.) Now, there was one fault with the Victorian system of debtor's prison. When you're in prison, it's hard to work off your debt now isn't it? Here is my vision. We create a debtor's prison system along the lines of an actual prison. Here's the difference: when you are entered into debtor's prison, the company (did I mention these are private institutions?) that runs the debtor's prison will front the money to pay off your debt. Bam. It's gone. Now, you are entered into the debtor's prison where you are provided shelter and food while you work off your debt to the company. They will employ you in various activities or in their factories and you will pay off your debt. When you pay it off, you're a free man! Admittedly, there is room for abuse in this system (unlike every other system in this world :P) Steps will need to be taken to prevent this, but I think that it sounds like a viable system! Let me know your thoughts and improvements because I'm always looking for ways to make it better!

Sorry about not posting yesterday. I was hanging out with a great friend of mine by the name of Dave. He is a great mentor to me and we love to talk to theology. Thanks for reading!

God Bless,
Stanley

2 comments:

  1. I forgive you... After I ruin your career! I enjoyed this post... But what do you think about the environmentalist movement, and what is your take on American politics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! And yes, I shall write about that tomorrow or Saturday. I will need some time to write a long post on that topic. It took me almost an hour to answer your last question. :P

    ReplyDelete