Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Part 2

Part 2

A sharp grinding noise fills the air as the massive wire gates open to permit my entrance into the main grounds of the compound. The tiny iron rhombi quiver as the fences drag across the ground. This noise carves its name into my brain. A tiny signature that remains permanently. Blink. I am normal. My car accelerates through the chasm between the two gates into the parking garage. Long rows of cars. Stretching out like a sea before me. One spot is open. Awash amidst a sea of steel, one open spot beckons me. I park in it.

353 steps. Yes. That is how many steps there are from the parking garage up to the main block of the sanitarium. The main offices are in the front. With finesse, I navigate their treacherous waters, making sure not to be ensnared by any friendly or talkative peers. I am politely greeted by the other employees, but their greetings are ignored. Barriers between us are being hastily formed within my mind and upon my face. Soon, they will learn. Instead, I quicken my pace and lengthen my stride. Another 278 steps. Then, I stop. I am face to face with a white door with a tiny window. This is the entrance to my wing. It is my charge. It is my kingdom. A blast of cold air hits my face as I enter a long hall. A vast, quiet, empty void. On all sides it is lined with cells occupied by slumbering lunatics. These are my citizens. Here in my white tile kingdom. Tile.

The silence that fills these halls is entirely deafening to my ears. This was unacceptable. With a slight twitch of the corner of the mouth, I proceeded to open my jaw and scream. A million invisible clones screamed back in my face. They took flight through every cell and wall in the entire block of cells. With pleasure, I see the eyes of my citizens opening their eyes wide. Their matted hair and horrific visages focus upon me as they join in the chorus. These beasts rattle their cages and wail as their lungs force their air through their throats. This cacophonic symphony is music unto my ears. No silence to scar my mine with its purity. Just the unending signature of chaos and suffering.

Then, with a royal stride, I survey my kingdom. Upon a close examination, my block contains a total of 17 inmates. My block contains 20 cells and yet houses only 17 men. This is a source of disappointment to me. I will be diligent to see that those other three cells be filled. Upon resuming my old place at the head of the hall, I addressed my kingdom. Only one man in the back babbled endlessly through my oration.

“My citizens!” booms my voice down the tile Kingdom. “Today a new dynasty has instituted itself into Block 6C. Your old master has been deposed and my masters have seen it fit to put you in my charge. My position of authority demands your respect. I will not tolerate disrespect. This block will be run with clockwork efficiency. Is this entirely clear? Of course it is. Today, I will meet with each one of you in The Room at the end of the hall. This will be a simple meet and greet. For now.” With these words, I stride at breakneck speed to the door at the end of the hall and slam it. Once the sound of the echo dies away, only faint babbling disturbs the pure silence.

God Bless,

Stanley

4 comments:

  1. The makings of an evil overlord indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good stuff, man. Hit me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know what Matt. You should write about his taking over the world. starting in a sanatarium.

    PS: I think this main caracter is alredy loony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hooked write MORE! (soon please)

    ReplyDelete