Thursday, February 2, 2012

This Is How I Quack

Last summer, I went on an incredible canoe trip up in Canada. For two weeks, I drove to Canada and camped with my brothers in Christ. During that time, I made many new friends, had tons of fun, and reveled in the beauty of nature. But lately, another aspect of that trip has begun to assert itself in my mind. It's called the duck analogy. On this trip, the guys conducted a nightly Bible study. One evening, our group leader Dave compared Christians to ducks. That's odd. Yes it is. Like I always say, let's think it through. Ducks have a very defining trait that everyone can recognize. It's the quack right? Of course it is. But what if someone were to claim that he's a duck and yet never quack? That would make him a hypocrite! Well, the Bible says that there are things that define Christians. Christ says that good trees bear good fruit. The mark of a true Christian is following God's will and banishing sin just as the mark of a true duck is its quack. So, as we attempt to combat sin in our daily lives, let's not just focus on the commands but on the inward reality. As I am tempted to sin, I tell myself that I'm going to quack. By not sinning, that's how I quack. I know I'm a duck, and it's natural for me to quack. So when I'm tempted not to, I just remember that quacking is a part of who I am. Maybe you want to meditate on this concept. I would encourage you. It's really profitable. Just remember that you are a duck and quacking is just what ducks do.

God Bless,
Stanley

P.S. I have recently begun work on a new short story. It's about a russian aristocrat who's father dies and wills him an enormous estate. The young man is overwhelmed as he must care for his siblings and his new estate. However, his siblings aren't making it easy. They have some issues. (Vanity, resentment, pride...) I've laid TIAOMEIAS aside for a little while. I need to reevaluate it. I'm just not sure where it's going. I'm also finishing up editing a story that I wrote a while ago and never really finalized. Expect that one sometime soon.

1 comment: