Saturday, February 18, 2012

I Believe Tattoos Are Unwise

The topic of tattoos has been controversial amongst Christians for a while. Now, there are many Christians who have tattoos and that's what makes this subject so sticky. Frankly, I believe that the Bible is largely silent on the subject. Many point to the verse that says that Christians are the temple of God. This is true. However, this verse names no specifics and that's why I am inclined to believe that this is a matter of Christian liberty. It is a matter of wisdom, not right or wrong. In short, I am convinced that tattoos are not wrong, but are simply unwise.

Now there are ways to make tattoos wrong. Content can always change an issue. I won't take offense at your desire to tattoo your name in japanese on your arm, but I will take offense at naked women and blasphemy. The same philosophy governs my consumption of music. What makes music wrong is content, not the sound (An evil note? Obviously a guitar note. :P).

The tattoo originate from tribal markings and piercings. Pagan tribes used extensive body ink as well as body piercing as part of their religions. It was a ritual that was pivotal to their animistic beliefs. Is this really wise to associate ourselves with such origins? Now, considering I'm such a fan of rock music, which clearly had less than godly origins, this isn't a rock solid argument. However, I believe it needs to be taken into account. The origin of tattoos in the world was from pagan rituals, but the origin of tattoos in America is the prison system. I believe this a compelling argument. Inmates began to get tattoos and it spread to the outer culture. Are these people we want to emulate? Also, tattoos are considered a sign of being lower class or unprofessional. Employers want someone who looks clean cut and professional. You can debate the merits of this all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the case. Tattoos are associated with rebellion. They are also permanent. Is it wise to make permanent decisions like that especially at a young age? All of these facts convince me that getting a tattoo is unwise. Now, if you want to make the choice to get one (maybe you're getting something tasteful), go ahead. It's absolutely your choice. However, consider the factors of why you want to get one and also what the consequences will be.

God Bless,
Stanley

2 comments:

  1. I will try not to take this personal ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you understand the spirit of my post! Clearly, I have no grounds for saying it's morally wrong. It's simply a tough decision that I have personally come to believe is unwise. If you have given it serious thought (as I would presume you did) and came to the opposite conclusion, by all means, I will not stop you. Thanks for reading btw!

    ReplyDelete