Tuesday, January 31, 2012

This is True Pathos

I recently acquired an air mail envelope. This envelope was addressed to Congressman Harry L. Englebright from a man by the name of Warren N. Woodson. Combined with the fact that it's dated 1938, that's cool. But the best part? Mr. Woodson typed his message on the outside. I think you need to read it.

"With daring and glory, rides tragedy and pathos. Think you not? Then read the record of a dying pilot. Captain Pearson, world war flyer and mail pilot, mortally wounded in a wreck, in the mountains of Pennsylvania, alone, and conscious that life was fast ebbing away, upon his log book penned these, his last lines--"

"My beloved brothers, pilots and Pals: I go west, but with a cheerful heart. I hope that what small sacrifice I have made may be of use to the cause. When we fly we are fools, they say. When we are dead we weren't half bad fellows, they say. But, every one in this wonderful aviation service is doing the world far more good than the public can possibly appreciate. We risk our necks; we give our lives; we perfect a service for the world at large. They, mind you, are the one who call us fools. But, stick to it boys. I am still very much with you. See you all again."

"To me, these final words of a dying air hero is pathos, indeed; yet glorious in their expression of fidelity, loyalty, and devotion to a cause and a principle to which this hero dedicated his life. A classic in aeronautical literature, I think. ~ Warren N. Woodson 5/19 1938"

Please, re-read it. It needs to be read over and over. What beauty! What a passionate plea! This is truly an amazing piece of history. I'm humbled to have it.

God Bless,
Stanley





2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd have my wits about me like that as life ebbed away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt really cool. God has really blessed you to have a letter like that one. You know that you could sell that letter for a lot, right.

    ReplyDelete