Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Halloween? Quick, We Must Distract Them..

Have you ever heard of Reformation Day? You might not have. If you ran in the reformed/presbyterian circles that I do, it would probably be a big deal for you. However, I am not such a fan. Don't get me wrong, the Protestant Reformation was one of the most important events in earth's history, but it's the holiday that bugs me. Reformation Day was made as an excuse to not celebrate Halloween! Now, as a child, Halloween nights dressing up and trick-or-treating are very fond memories that I will cherish my whole life. Yes, Halloween has some aspects to it that are certainly not godly, however, Halloween is still a fun holiday that families can enjoy together. Dressing up is fun, hanging out with friends, staying up late, and who doesn't love candy? I mean seriously. That stuff is good. But I digress. My point is that Christians have made up Reformation Day to combat Halloween. I would like to point out that the reason Martin Luther's nailing of the 95 Theses on the 31st of October is significant is BECAUSE of All Hallow's Eve aka Halloween. In short, I feel that Christians have reacted to Halloween inappropriately. Halloween can still be enjoyed in a godly manner and Christians have failed to realize this. The Reformation is definitely an important event, but I feel that the actual holiday has become almost a bandaid to remedy the holiday season of October. I make one final assertion; Christians can love Halloween too!

God Bless!

P.S. Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment