Monday, September 23, 2013

Writing some poetry

Teach Me Each Motion
By Matthew Stanley

I am an underground creature
Born and bred for the dark
All my ancestors slithered
Through the soil and bark
They ate of the dust
And were gorged on blood
I was content in my squalor
I loved drowning in mud
Until spotless hands drew me
Pulled me out of the mire
Set my feet on a Rock
Set my soul on fire
My blind eyes are adjusting
Light has begun to penetrate
There is now pulsing life
Where there was once a slate.
I’m learning to stand
On a wholly other ground
All the while crying out
Why am I the one You found?
There is no health in me
My breath is like a disease
Why did You choose my hands?
What made You choose these?
Still I stumble and fall
While You hold me in your hand
When I come low in sin
Even while I eat the dry sand
Your fountain never stops
And Your spring will never run dry
I know it is there that I find grace
Where else can I fly?
Your mercy is free and boundless
Covering me like an ocean
All I want is to serve You
So teach me each motion
So, in humbleness I bow
It’s all I can do
I’m a slave in Your house
But it’s not slavery,
If it’s for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment