Wednesday, March 14, 2012

All of a Sudden It's Ok To Trash Other People's Religion?

I recently received this email from GOPUSA.

"Sharia Law Takes Root"

Dear Fellow American,


Last fall, a Muslim attacked a Pennsylvania man name Ernest Perce who had dressed up like Mohammed for a Halloween parade. The attack was caught on film, witnessed by dozens of parade watchers, and verified by a policeman.


The Muslim was charged. But when he was brought before Cumberland County Judge Mark Martin, the judge dismissed the assault charges against the Muslim and dressed down the Pennsylvania man for being insensitive to the Muslim religion. Not only did Martin rule in favor of the Muslim attacker, he lectured Ernest Perce for insulting Islam: "Islam is not just a religion, it's their culture. It's their very essence their very being... And what you've done is, you've complete trashed their essence, their being. They find it very, very, very offensive. I find it offensive."


Guess what—I'm offended too, but for an entirely different reason. This Sharia law sympathy is part of a pattern. We have identified similar cases in at least 20 states where a full-scale campaign has been launched by American Muslim organizations seeking to push Sharia law ahead of constitutional law."



Is this a joke? Since when is it ok to trash other people's religion? I have to agree with the comments that the judge made. They were spot on. People don't understand how religion affects people. Your religion is the foundation whereby you understand reality. It's your most core beliefs. That's not a joke! And for that man to dress up as Muhammed for Halloween is just flat out being a jerk. Admittedly, the muslim's response is definitely not legal, but we can also understand where he's coming from. I mean, I know I would not be happy if someone dressed up as Jesus for Halloween. Not to the point of assaulting them, but I would at least see it as rude and tasteless. The judge should have punished the muslim man, but I believe his sentence should probably have been reduced from a typical assault charge. In justice, circumstances should always be considered.


I don't like the email's attitude. I feel that it's rather widespread in the conservative community. Possibly I'm wrong, but I encounter it frequently. We abuse other people's beliefs and then get defensive when they get offended (heaven forbid!). Just because someone is wrong doesn't give you the right to be mean to them. I know I personally struggle with this. I am the kind of person who has strong opinions. Many times, I have a hard time respecting those who disagree with me. However, as someone who struggles with this sin, I feel I am in a better condition to pinpoint it when I see it. It takes one to know one, I guess. Anyways, to antagonize those of other religions is definitely not loving. As Christians, we are called to love our neighbors. How do you think our pagan friends view us when we treat their beliefs with contempt? The point is, this man should not have been dressing up as the spiritual leader of a religion. Especially considering how clear the muslims have made it that this is a big deal for them. The stories of journalists being threatened for joking about Muhammed are numerous. Why then would someone go and impersonate him? Does he have a deathwish?


Bottomline:

Don't make fun of people's religions. It's called being a jerk. Plus, they get offended.

Sharia Law is NOT taking root in America anytime soon.

Dressing up as Muhammed will likely end badly for you.


God Bless,

Stanley


2 comments:

  1. Hi Stanley; came to your blog after reading a comment you left on Frank Blasi's blog. When I first read this post I thought you were defending the wrong guy! You made a very good point about being respectful towards someone of another belief, regardless of what you believe as a Christian. I have come to a conclusion as I have got older, and hopefully a little wiser although goodness knows it took a long time(!); because we believe different things DOESN'T mean we have to oppose someone or be in conflict with them! It took me a long time to understand that, as I myself was incredibly opinionated and sometimes very egotistical too.

    As you say, if we are Christians, we are definitely meant to love our neighbours, irrespective of who they are, what they do and what they believe; there must be a level of pragmatic and practical love for all we meet and all we interact with. For a start, we can learn from all kinds of people, we can have Muslims and atheists and so on as friends, but we don't necessarily have to believe what they believe.

    Talking of Sharia Law; there's a big thing about that in the UK too at the moment. I don't particularly want to see this law in the UK but have no problem Muslims living here, providing of course they are law-abiding and respect our laws and so on. It's a thin line then, but with God nothing is impossible.

    I feel the need to check out more of your blog; perhaps you can check out mine if you have the time and inclination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man! Long time no see!!! I always like what you have to say, and this is still true. However, I might be a little bit disagreeing, only due to the nature of who you are addressing. If this man was a Christian, and this was "Legally" a Christian country, I'd say that the man should both be punished, as the Muslim, for representing Christ badly. HOWEVER, due to the fact that the email was circulated by a political, not religious, organization (the Republican party), then the man has, legally speaking, the right to insult whoever the heck he wants for whatever reason he wants (except for racism). So yes, I agree with you, but I disagree with you simultaneously, as I don't think the judge should have done it. Summing it up, I think everyone was in the wrong, but legally speaking I'd would have to side with the douche who dressed as Mohammed.

    As for Sharia Law, that's not entirely too far fetched. While I don't think they'll "take over" (We have too many rednecks), they certainly have a hold in Dearborn, Michigan. Google "Acts 17 Apologetics" and check out their vids. Anywho, check out my first blog post.

    http://are-you-depraved.blogspot.com

    -DJ

    ReplyDelete