Friday, December 30, 2011

Impending Doom

Often, human beings respond better to immediate consequences. A slap on the wrist. Perhaps a spanking? Cause and effect. Yet, a lot of things in life are not composed of immediate consequences. This poses a problem for decision making. We see two options and one may be better overall but the other may be more pleasant, but since it's consequences may be down the road, we choose it. We may choose to sin or to push off responsibilities. The phrase "That'll come back to haunt me," is a sarcastic phrase but it holds so much truth! There is a huge disconnect between an action and a consequence when the two are separated by a period of time. The context in which I'm talking about this is sin. We don't connect sin with the ultimate consequence that we may mentally know, but not live in light of. I am, of course, referring to the Final Judgement. The reason I'm writing this right now is because it's something that I'm struggling with. No, this isn't an outpouring of my soul. However, a spiritual struggle is always an opportunity for our eyes to be opened to a new truth. The Final Judgement always feels like something in the distant future, yet it could be here before I finish typing this post! The Lord tells me keep the oil in my lamp. I do not want to be one of the virgins caught slumbering. My sinful mind struggles to hold the two together. Sin and imminent consequence. Perhaps you'll have better success than I have.

God Bless,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment